Firebrand Header Banner Fallback

5 Ways To Conquer Your IT Recruitment And Training Strategy With Apprenticeships

UK businesses could gain an additional £18bn revenue from apprenticeships, Government research reveals. With over 665,000 individuals already started apprenticeships since 2015, the UK Government has accelerated its apprenticeship reforms in England, with new legislation like the Apprenticeship Levy making apprenticeships an irresistible solution for organisations with inefficient recruitment and training budgets.

Current employers are enjoying the financial and practical benefits of IT apprenticeships, and are also taking advantage of the rewards offered by the Government by doing so. Apprenticeships are helping improve IT training and recruitment strategies for small and large employers – here’s how your business can take advantage of the benefits...

1. Slash your IT recruitment costs

Companies that find niche IT skills will likely spend a small fortune on recruitment. Firebrand’s free, fast recruitment service means all you need is to send a job description and we’ll source the best candidates for you to interview.

With more young people choosing to get into IT through vocational routes, you’ll have access to a growing pool of future professionals looking for an alternative route into IT. Through apprenticeship recruitment you’ll employ motivated and passionate professionals, not candidates with irrelevant experience and skills.

Currently hiring and need some help? Send us a job description here and we’ll see if apprenticeships might be right for you.

2. Fill your skills gaps through personalised programmes

83% of apprentice employers say they rely on apprenticeships to fulfil future skills needs, according to the Learning and Skills Council. Demand for IT expertise is mounting, and UK businesses are struggling to find qualified employees they need to satisfy current and future skills requirements.

IT apprenticeships and training

Because Firebrand runs over 400 training courses from vendors like Microsoft, CompTIA, EC-Council and Cisco throughout the year, the apprenticeship programmes are fully flexible. This means you can select specific training at any time that suits you, and create custom-built programmes that suit you and your apprentices.

Browse our customisable programmes here.

3. Cut high staff turnover

According to the Learning and Skills Council, 4 in 5 apprentice employers say they have crushed turnover rates since taking on apprentices, with a further 88% saying apprenticeships have led to a more motivated and satisfied workforce.

Plus, apprentices that successfully complete their accelerated programmes can become excellent ambassadors for your business, helping attract future waves of talented staff. In fact, 76% of apprentice employers polled by the National Apprenticeship Service say they promote their apprenticeship credentials when pitching for new business or talking about their company.

Read more about how we find top apprenticeship talent here.

4. Upskill current staff

Apprenticeships can be an effective route to specialising existing employees in fields like infrastructure support, cyber security, networking, data analysis and cloud technologies.

By placing existing employees on role-specific apprenticeships, your business gets new skills without significant financial investment. You’ll get full facilitation support from approved training providers - like Firebrand - to make the most out of the training.

Talk to us about upskilling current staff here

5. Only pay 10% of the training cost

Employers with wage bills of under £3 million now benefit greatly from financial support from the Government. 90 percent of the cost of apprenticeship training is paid for already, meaning you’ll pay just the remaining 10 percent of the full cost of award-winning accelerated training. Plus, if your organisation has less than 50 employees, you won't pay a penny.

UK-based employers with a pay bill of over £3 million must invest 0.5 percent of it in hiring apprentices through the Apprenticeship Levy. Monthly payments are transferred to a digital Apprenticeship Service account (and topped-up by 10 percent by the Government), where funds
can be spent on training across a range of employer-led, role-specific programmes, including:

Find out how paying for apprenticeships works here.

Improve your training and recruitment strategy with apprenticeships.

Request a consultation or call 0800 081 6022