Who is this course for?
This apprenticeship is ideal if you’re interested in:
- Embarking on a career in Software Development
- Developing your knowledge and understanding of key software development concepts and acquire relevant programming language skills to become a professional software developer
Software Developer is a Level 4 Apprenticeship.
16 months total: 13 months Practical, 3-month EPA.
Firebrand’s Software Developer Apprenticeship trains you to become a competent Software Developer, working across the front-end, logic, and data layers.
Apprentices develop a deeper understanding of key software development processes and practices so they can operate at all stages of the software development lifecycle, including design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
Apprentices learn advanced programming skills, including object-oriented concepts, use of automated testing tools, and secure development principles and practices, in order to develop high-quality, secure software.
Software development in essence is solving problems. Apprentices learn to understand client requirements and the business context of the software solutions you provide. They also learn to apply logical thinking and structured problem-solving. Our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Learning Mentors (LMs), and world-leading Instructors will prepare learners to work across multiple sectors.
Firebrand’s programme is taught through a blended framework of Residential and Online Classroom learning based on our Lecture, Lab, Review methodology.
Your apprentice will receive support from our SMEs as well as full access to an e-learning platform that covers all areas of Cyber Security and over 5,000 courses on other relevant business topics.
Before attending this accelerated apprenticeship, you should have:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or A-Levels, a Level 3 qualification (apprenticeship or BTEC in a relatable subject), or relevant experience and/or an aptitude test
STEM subjects would also be beneficial to your application.
You should not have an existing qualification at the same level or higher that this apprenticeship in a similar subject.
- Understand the software development lifecycle, the various methodologies and the roles and responsibilities within the software development stages
- Writing unit tests and use of unit testing frameworks
- Understand relational and non-relational databases, relational database modelling and design as well as querying data with SQL
- Understand designing for security and secure development principles and practices
End Point Assessment
All Apprenticeships end with the End Point Assessment (EPA). This is completed by a third party, the End Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO).
The EPA evaluates all the work completed through the duration of the Apprenticeship.
For the Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship, the EPA consists of:
- a Work-based Project with questioning
- a Professional Discussion underpinned by a portfolio
The apprentice will only enter the EPA Gateway once the employer is content that the apprentice is working at or above the occupational standard. In making this decision, the in-work mentor may take advice from Firebrand, but the decision must ultimately be made by them.
EPAO determines when all other Gateway requirements have been met, and the EPA period will only commence once the EPAO has confirmed this.
The EPA assessment period in Gateway can be anything from 4 weeks to 6 months.
Upon completion of the Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship, you will be able to apply for entry into the Professional Register of IT Technicians (RITTech) to benchmark and confirm your professional competence.
Progression routes include:
- Level 6 Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (integrated degree)