Who is this course for?
This apprenticeship is ideal if you’re interested in:
- Embarking on a career in software testing
- Developing your technical skills, knowledge, and understanding of key software testing concepts and techniques
Software Tester is a Level 4 Apprenticeship.
16 months total: 13 months Practical, 3-month EPA.
Software Testers are responsible for ensuring that software is fit for purpose. On this programme, apprentices will learn to conduct various testing activities across the software development lifecycle to ensure the software meets the business’ functional, security, performance, usability and other relevant quality requirements.
Apprentices will gain a thorough understanding of the various testing levels, testing types, techniques, tools, and terminologies of the industry and gain the skills required to:
- Review requirements
- Prepare test plans
- Collect/develop representative test data
- Design and execute tests
- Compare test outcomes against expected results
- Document and report test results
Through language courses, the apprentice will develop necessary programming skills to conduct white-box testing, test automation and other testing-related tasks, like test data generation and processing data. The apprentice will develop the ability to apply logical thinking when making decisions, identifying, analysing and solving problems.
Throughout the apprenticeship, our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Learning Mentors (LMs), and world-leading Trainers will prepare learners to work across multiple sectors.
Firebrand’s programme is taught through a blended framework of Residential and Online Classroom learning based on our Lecture, Lab, Review methodology.
Your apprentice will receive support from our SMEs as well as full access to an e-learning platform that covers all areas of Cyber Security and over 5,000 courses on other relevant business topics.
Before attending this accelerated apprenticeship, you should have:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or A-Levels, a Level 3 qualification (apprenticeship or BTEC in a relatable subject), or relevant experience and/or an aptitude test
STEM subjects would also be beneficial to your application.
You should not have an existing qualification at the same or higher level than this apprenticeship in a similar subject.
- Section 1: Understand the software development lifecycle, the various methodologies, and the roles and responsibilities within the software development stages
- Section 2: Develop foundational programming skills in one of either Applications, C#, Python, or Java Fundamentals course to enable them to comprehend the code that they test and allow them to automate testing tasks through scripting
- Section 3: Fundamental concepts of software testing
- Section 4: Deeper understanding of software development practices with emphasis on software testing as an integral part of the Agile software development approach
- Section 5: Test analysis, test design, test implementation, and testing execution in the software development lifecycle models and apply testing tools to support the various testing activities
End Point Assessment
All Apprenticeships end with the End Point Assessment (EPA). This is completed by a third party, the End Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO).
The EPA evaluates all the work completed through the duration of the Apprenticeship.
For the Level 4 Software Tester Apprenticeship, the EPA consists of a:
- Scenario-based tests with questioning
- A Professional Discussion underpinned by a portfolio
The apprentice will only enter the EPA Gateway once the employer is content that the apprentice is working at or above the occupational standard. In making this decision, the in-work mentor may take advice from Firebrand, but the decision must ultimately be made by them.
EPAO determines when all other Gateway requirements have been met, and the EPA period will only commence once the EPAO has confirmed this.
The EPA assessment period in Gateway can be anything from 4 weeks to 6 months.
For more information, check out our EPA Fact Sheet.
Upon completion of the Level 4 Software Tester Apprenticeship, you will be able to apply for entry onto the Professional Register of IT Technicians (RITTech) to benchmark and confirm your professional competence.
Progression routes include:
- Level 6 Digital and Technology Solutions Professional (integrated degree)