Who is this course for?
This apprenticeship is ideal if you’re interested in:
- Embarking on a career as a DevOps or Systems Engineer, 2nd or 3rd line Support Engineer, IT Support Analyst or Technical Solutions Engineer
- Developing your knowledge and understanding of key concepts of IT System Development and Maintenance
IT Solutions Technician — Hardware is a Level 3 Apprenticeship.
18 months total: 15 months Practical, 3-month EPA.
Firebrand’s sector-leading Level 3 IT Solutions Technician (ITS) Apprenticeship trains apprentices to implement and maintain IT systems and solutions to meet their business needs. Knowledge, skills, and behaviours (KSBs) are developed to build, install, maintain, and secure multi-vendor platforms and solutions.
The End Point Assessment (EPA) will be carried out covering a Professional Discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence to be collected throughout the apprenticeship along with a Project Report with questioning. The project may be based on a specific problem, a recurring issue, an idea/opportunity or providing a service.
With support from our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Learning Mentors (LMs), and industry-leading Instructors, learners will work across multiple sectors. Our programme gives apprentices a clear understanding of the components of infrastructure and how they are developed, installed, secured and maintained, both physically and virtually.
Firebrand’s programme is taught through a blended framework of Residential and Online Classroom learning based on our Lecture, Lab, Review methodology.
Your apprentice will receive support from our SMEs as well as full access to an e-learning platform that covers all areas of Cyber Security and over 5,000 courses on other relevant business topics.
Before attending this accelerated apprenticeship, you should have:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or a Level 2 Apprenticeship equivalent (apprenticeship or BTEC in a relatable subject)
- A Level 3 certification may be acceptable depending on the units covered, as there will need to be sufficient new learning to be considered
STEM subjects would also be beneficial to your application.
- Section 1: Develop, implement and maintain complete IT solutions, including their hardware infrastructure (such as servers and networks) and software (such as operating systems, middleware and applications)
- Section 2: Professional methodology or framework to gather and analyse requirements; to design, develop, test, and implement IT solutions and to provide ongoing support both directly to end users and for the underlying IT services
- Section 3: Full set of stages across the whole solution lifecycle: requirements gathering, solution development, testing, implementation and ongoing support
End Point Assessment
All Apprenticeships end with the End Point Assessment (EPA). This is completed by a third party, the End Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO).
The EPA evaluates all the work completed through the duration of the Apprenticeship.
For the Level 4 IT Solutions Technician — Hardware Apprenticeship, the EPA consists of:
- a Knowledge Test comprised of 4 units, and
- a Project Presentation and Interview, also comprised of 2 units, with the independent assessor
The apprentice will only enter the EPA Gateway once the employer is content that the apprentice is working at or above the occupational standard. In making this decision, the in-work mentor may take advice from Firebrand, but the decision must ultimately be made by them.
EPAO determines when all other Gateway requirements have been met, and the EPA period will only commence once the EPAO has confirmed this.
The EPA assessment period in Gateway can be anything from 4 weeks to 6 months.
For more information, check out our EPA Fact Sheet.
Upon successful completion of the programme, you'll have the opportunity to gain the following qualifications:
- BCS Level 3 Award in Networking and Architecture
- BCS Level 3 Certificate in Programming
- CompTIA A+
Upon completion of the Level 3 IT Solutions Technician Apprenticeship, progression routes include:
- Level 4 DevOps Engineer
- Level 6 Digital and technology solutions specialist (integrated degree)