On this 3 day accelerated SAS® Base Programmer course, you'll learn the fundamentals of SAS including data access, manipulation, analysis and reporting.
You'll be immersed in the Certified Base Programmer Fast Track curriculum through our unique Lecture | Lab | Review technique, which allows you learn and retain information faster than traditional courses.
On this official SAS course, you'll understand file structures and how to write system commands to create and access files as well as (IF/THEN) principle programming logic concepts. Our expert instructors will also take you through how to:
- understand the compilation and execution process of the DATA step
- use different kinds of input to create SAS data sets from external files
- use SAS software to access SAS data libraries
- create and use SAS date values
- read, concatenate, merge, match-merge and interleave SAS data sets
- use the data set options DROP=, KEEP= and RENAME=
- create multiple output data sets
- use array processing and DO loops to process data iteratively
- use SAS functions to perform data manipulation and transformations
You'll benefit from 24-hour lab access, allowing you to practice and apply your knowledge whenever you want!
During the course, you'll prepare for and sit the SAS Certified Base Programmer exam. Don't pass the first time? Don't worry - you'll be covered by our Certification Guarantee.
This course is ideal for you if you are interested in learning about SAS and becoming a Certified Base Programmer.
See prices now to find out how much you could save when you train at twice the speed.
Seven reasons why you should sit your course with Firebrand Training
- You'll be Certified Base Programmer certified in just 3 days. With us, you’ll be Certified Base Programmer trained in record time
- Our Certified Base Programmer course is all-inclusive. A one-off fee covers all course materials, exams, accommodation and meals. No hidden extras
- Pass Certified Base Programmer first time or train again for free. This is our guarantee. We’re confident you’ll pass your course first time. But if not, come back within a year and only pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs
- You’ll learn more. A day with a traditional training provider generally runs from 9am – 5pm, with a nice long break for lunch. With Firebrand Training you’ll get at least 12 hours/day quality learning time, with your instructor
- You’ll learn Certified Base Programmer faster. Chances are, you’ll have a different learning style to those around you. We combine visual, auditory and tactile styles to deliver the material in a way that ensures you will learn faster and more easily
- You’ll be studying Certified Base Programmer with the best. We’ve been named in Training Industry’s “Top 20 IT Training Companies of the Year” every year since 2010. As well as winning many more awards, we’ve trained and certified 75,090 professionals, and we’re partners with all of the big names in the business
- You'll do more than study Firebrand's courseware. We use practical exercises to make sure you can apply your new knowledge to the work environment. Our instructors use demonstrations and real-world experience to keep the day interesting and engaging
Think you are ready for the course? Take a FREE practice test to assess your knowledge!
Benefits of Training with Firebrand
- Distraction-free residential training - you’ll live just steps away from your classroom
- A purpose-built training centre – get access to dedicated Pearson VUE Select facilities
- Your Certification Guarantee – pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
- Everything you need to certify – you’ll even sit your exam on the course and return home certified
- No hidden extras – one cost covers everything you need to certify
- Information about the SAS®9 Base Programming Exam
- Course logistics
- Overview of Foundation SAS
Getting Started with SAS
- Introduction to SAS programs
- Submitting a SAS program
Working with SAS Syntax
- Mastering fundamental concepts
- Diagnosing and correcting syntax errors
Getting Familiar with SAS Data Sets
- Examining descriptor and data portions
- Accessing SAS data libraries
Reading SAS Data Sets
- Introduction to reading data
- Using SAS data as input
- Subsetting observations and variables
- Adding permanent attributes
Reading Spreadsheet and Database Data
- Reading spreadsheet data
- Reading database data
Reading Delimited Raw Data Files
- Using standard delimited data as input
- Using nonstandard delimited data as input
- Creating variables
- Creating variables conditionally
- Subsetting observations
Combining SAS Data Sets
- Introduction to combining data sets
- Appending a data set (self-study)
- Concatenating data sets
- Merging data sets one-to-one
- Merging data sets one-to-many
- Merging data sets with nonmatches
Producing Summary Reports
- Using the FREQ procedure
- Using the MEANS procedure
- Using the TABULATE procedure (self-study)
- Using global statements
- Adding labels and formats
- Creating user-defined formats
- Subsetting and grouping observations
- Directing output to external files
Controlling Input and Output
- Outputting multiple observations
- Writing to multiple SAS data sets
- Selecting variables and observations
- Creating an accumulating total variable
- Accumulating totals for a group of data
Reading Raw Data Files
- Reading raw data files with formatted input
- Controlling when a record loads
- Additional techniques for list input (self-study)
- Creating raw data files (self-study)
- Manipulating character values
- Manipulating numeric values
- Converting variable type
Debugging Techniques (optional)
- Using the PUTLOG statement
- Using the DEBUG option
Processing Data Iteratively
- DO-loop processing
- SAS array processing
- Using SAS arrays
Restructuring a Data Set
- Rotating with the DATA step
- Using the TRANSPOSE procedure
Creating Reports with the REPORT Procedure (Self-study)
- Creating reports with the REPORT procedure
- SAS resources
- Beyond this course
See Exam Track...
During the course, you'll sit the following exam at Firebrand's Training Centre. Covered by your Certification Guarantee:
SAS® Base Programming for SAS®9 exam
- Duration: 110 minutes
- Format: 60-65 multiple-choice and short-answer questions
- Passing score: 70%
See What's Included...
On this accelerated course, you'll receive:
- Official SAS courseware
- Base SAS Programming case study
Your accelerated course includes:
- Meals, unlimited snacks, beverages, tea and coffee
- Onsite exams
- Examination vouchers*
- Practice tests**
- Certification Guarantee***
- Up-to 12 hours of instructor-led training each day
- 24-hour lab access
- Hands-on training through Lecture | Lab | ReviewTM
- Digital courseware (if available)
- * Exam vouchers may not be included for Apprentices and will require a separate purchase by an employer due to ESFA guidelines
- ** Some exceptions apply.
- *** Pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
Before attending the course, you should have:
- An understanding of operating systems
- Some experience in programming (you don't need to have experience with SAS)
Unsure whether you meet the prerequisites? Don’t worry. Your training consultant will discuss your background with you to understand if this course is right for you.
SAS Certified Base Programmer Course Dates
Here's the Firebrand Training review section. Since 2001 we've trained exactly 75,090 students and asked them all to review our Accelerated Learning. Currently, 96.79% have said Firebrand exceeded their expectations.
Read reviews from recent accelerated courses below or visit Firebrand Stories for written and video interviews from our alumni.
"The instructor is a really top notch trainer and instructor, full depth and breadth of knowledge to cover the certification material. I was also really pleased with the teams ability to accommodate an extra night to give me some more time to prepare which was highly desired. "
Geoff Pell, PA. (24/2/2020 to 26/2/2020)
"Was good , especially for people who need to find a foundation in IT"
Damian Roberts, SBL. (20/2/2020 to 23/2/2020)
"I enjoyed my experience however, it was full on."
Patrick Reilly, Isle Of Man Gov. (20/2/2020 to 23/2/2020)
"I passed what more can i say."
Christopher Firth, MOD. (17/2/2020 to 22/2/2020)
"Excellent knowledge and very willing to share that knowledge. Fantastic level of assistance in all areas as well."
Paul Fox, Escrow and Cyber Security. (20/1/2020 to 24/1/2020)
Latest Reviews from our students