On this accelerated 3-day OCA Java SE 8 programming course, you'll be introduced to object orientated programming using the Java language.
Using our unique Lecture | Lab | Review technique, your expert instructor will guide you through creating command-line Java applications and creating conditional statements and loops. This technique, which combines both theoretical and practical tasks, will accelerate your learning as well as provide you with the hands-on experience you'll need to apply your skills to the real-world. You'll also learn how to:
- Apply Object-Oriented concepts such as Encapsulation, Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Use java types
- Manipulate Arrays and Collections
- Handle Exceptions
- Take advantage of new Java SE 8 features, such as Lambda expressions and Date/Time API
On this course, you'll prepare for and take the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I (1Z0-808) exam, covered by your Certification Guarantee.
Achieving this certification is a prerequisite for attempting the Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 8 Programmer II. Save hundreds by combining both the OCA Java SE 8 Programmer and OCP Java SE 8 Programmer courses on the accelerated 7-day combined Oracle OCA and OCP Java SE 8 Programmer Certification course.
If you're a system administrator, project, web developer, program or technical manager looking to improve your programming skills, this course is ideal for you.
See prices now to find out how much you could save when you train at twice the speed.
Seven reasons why you should sit your course with Firebrand Training
- You'll be OCA Java SE 8 Programmer certified in just 3 days. With us, you’ll be OCA Java SE 8 Programmer trained in record time
- Our OCA Java SE 8 Programmer course is all-inclusive. A one-off fee covers all course materials, exams, accommodation and meals. No hidden extras
- Pass OCA Java SE 8 Programmer first time or train again for free. This is our guarantee. We’re confident you’ll pass your course first time. But if not, come back within a year and only pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs
- You’ll learn more. A day with a traditional training provider generally runs from 9am – 5pm, with a nice long break for lunch. With Firebrand Training you’ll get at least 12 hours/day quality learning time, with your instructor
- You’ll learn OCA Java SE 8 Programmer faster. Chances are, you’ll have a different learning style to those around you. We combine visual, auditory and tactile styles to deliver the material in a way that ensures you will learn faster and more easily
- You’ll be studying OCA Java SE 8 Programmer with the best. We’ve been named in Training Industry’s “Top 20 IT Training Companies of the Year” every year since 2010. As well as winning many more awards, we’ve trained and certified 74,624 professionals, and we’re partners with all of the big names in the business
- You'll do more than study Firebrand's courseware. We use practical exercises to make sure you can apply your new knowledge to the work environment. Our instructors use demonstrations and real-world experience to keep the day interesting and engaging
Think you are ready for the course? Take a FREE practice test to assess your knowledge!
Other accelerated training providers rely heavily on lecture and independent self-testing and study.
Effective technical instruction must be highly varied and interactive to keep attention levels high, promote camaraderie and teamwork between the students and instructor, and solidify knowledge through hands-on learning.
Firebrand Training provides instruction to meet every learning need:
- Intensive group instruction
- One-on-one instruction attention
- Hands-on labs
- Lab partner and group exercises
- Question and answer drills
- Independent study
This information has been provided as a helpful tool for candidates considering training. Courses that include certification come with a Certification Guarantee. Pass first time or train again for free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs). We do not make any guarantees about personal successes or benefits of obtaining certification. Benefits of certification determined through studies do not guarantee any particular personal successes.
OCA Java SE 8 Programmer
- Define the scope of variables
- Define the structure of a Java class
- Create executable Java applications with a main method; run a Java program from the command line; including console output.
- Import other Java packages to make them accessible in your code
- Compare and contrast the features and components of Java such as: platform independence, object orientation, encapsulation, etc.
Java Data Types
- Declare and initialise variables (including casting of primitive data types)
- Differentiate between object reference variables and primitive variables
- Know how to read or write to object fields
- Explain an Object's Lifecycle (creation, "dereference by reassignment" and garbage collection)
- Develop code that uses wrapper classes such as Boolean, Double, and Integer.
Operators and Decision Constructs
- Use Java operators; including parentheses to override operator precedence
- Test equality between Strings and other objects using == and equals ()
- Create if and if/else and ternary constructs
- Use a switch statement
- Declare, instantiate, initialise and use a one-dimensional array
- Declare, instantiate, initialise and use multi-dimensional array
- Create and use while loops
- Create and use for loops including the enhanced for loop
- Create and use do/while loops
- Compare loop constructs
- Use break and continue
Methods and Encapsulation
- Create methods with arguments and return values; including overloaded methods
- Apply the static keyword to methods and fields
- Create and overload constructors; including impact on default constructors
- Apply access modifiers
- Apply encapsulation principles to a class
- Determine the effect upon object references and primitive values when they are passed into methods that change the values
- Describe inheritance and its benefits
- Develop code that demonstrates the use of polymorphism; including overriding and object type versus reference type
- Determine when casting is necessary
- Use super and this to access objects and constructors
- Use abstract classes and interfaces
- Differentiate among checked exceptions, unchecked exceptions, and Errors
- Create a try-catch block and determine how exceptions alter normal program flow
- Describe the advantages of Exception handling
- Create and invoke a method that throws an exception
- "Recognise common exception classes (such as NullPointerException, ArithmeticExcpetion, ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, ClassCastException)"
Java API Classes
- Manipulate data using the StringBuilder class and its methods
- Creating and manipulating Strings
- Create and manipulate calendar data using classes from java.time.LocalDateTime, java.time.LocalDate, java.time.LocalTime, java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter, java.time.Period
- Declare and use an ArrayListof a given type
- Write a simple Lambda expression that consumes a Lambda Predicate expression
See Exam Track...
You will sit the following exam at the training centre during the course, covered by your Certification Guarantee:
Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I (1Z0-808)
- Duration: 150 minutes
- Number of Questions: 70
- Passing Score: 65%
- Format: Multiple Choice
See What's Included...
Firebrand Training offers top-quality technical education and certification training in an all-inclusive course package specifically designed for the needs and ease of our students. We attend to every detail so our students can focus solely on their studies and certification goals.
Our Accelerated Learning Programmes include:
- Intensive Hands-on Training Utilising our (Lecture | Lab | Review)TM Delivery
- Comprehensive Study Materials, Program Courseware and Self-Testing Software including MeasureUp *
- Fully instructor-led program with 24 hour lab access
- Examination vouchers **
- On site testing ***
- Accommodation, all meals, unlimited beverages, snacks and tea / coffee****
- Transportation to/from designated local railway stations
- Examination Passing Policy
Our instructors teach to accommodate every student's learning needs through individualised instruction, hands-on labs, lab partner and group exercises, independent study, self-testing, and question/answer drills.
Firebrand Training has dedicated, well-equipped educational facilities where you will attend instruction and labs and have access to comfortable study and lounging rooms. Our students consistently say our facilities are second-to-none.
Firebrand goes digital
We’re currently migrating from printed to digital courseware. Some courseware is already available in digital, while other books remain in printed form. To find out if this course is digital, call us on 080 80 800 888.
There are several benefits of easy-to-use digital courseware: downloads are immediate, and you’ll always have your courseware available wherever you are. You won’t need to wait for a printed book to be delivered before you start learning – and it’s better for the environment.
Considering a Microsoft course? Always have the most up-to-date Microsoft digital courseware with ‘Fresh Editions’. This gives you access to all versions of digital courseware – you’ll receive updates and revisions of your textbook, at no charge, for the life of that course.
Examination Passing Policy
Should a student complete a Firebrand Training Program without having successfully passed all vendor examinations, the student may re-attend that program for a period of one year. Students will only be responsible for accommodations and vendor exam fees.
- * Not on all courses
- ** Examination vouchers are not included for the following courses: GIAC, CREST and CISSP CBK Review. Exam vouchers may also not be included for Apprentices and will require a separate purchase by an employer due to Education and Skills Funding Agency guidelines.
- *** On site testing is not included for our GIAC, CREST or ITIL Managers and Revision Certification Courses
- **** Accommodation not included on the CISSP CBK Review Seminar
Before you attend this course, you should have at least six months’ programming experience in Java.
Unsure whether you meet the prerequisites?
Don’t worry - we’ll discuss your technical background, experience and qualifications to determine whether this accelerated course suits you.
Just call us on 080 80 800 888 and speak to one of our enrolment consultants.
Firebrand is an immersive environment and requires commitment. Some prerequisites are simply guidelines; you may find your unique experience, attitude and determination enables you to succeed on your accelerated course.
Oracle OCA Java SE 8 Programmer Course Dates
Oracle - OCA Java SE 8 Programmer
Here's the Firebrand Training review section. Since 2001 we've trained exactly 74,624 students and asked them all to review our Accelerated Learning. Currently, 96.78% have said Firebrand exceeded their expectations.
Read reviews from recent accelerated courses below or visit Firebrand Stories for written and video interviews from our alumni.
Anonymous (18/11/2019 to 20/11/2019)
"Really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot of new skills. So thank you Firebrand."
M.A.. (18/11/2019 to 20/11/2019)
"Good food, good training, could improve by using less disposable cups and offer mugs instead."
Liam Coleman, IBM. (4/11/2019 to 6/11/2019)
"I found the course interesting and the content was delivered well."
R.B.. (4/11/2019 to 6/11/2019)
"Enjoyed my time at Firebrand. The training facilities are good. Plenty of free refreshments and close to your room for relation. Nice surroundings. Clean hotel."
Anonymous. (8/7/2019 to 10/7/2019)
Latest Reviews from our students