On this accelerated 3-day OCA Java SE 8 programming course, you'll be introduced to object orientated programming using the Java language.
Using our unique Lecture | Lab | Review technique, your expert instructor will guide you through creating command-line Java applications and creating conditional statements and loops. This technique, which combines both theoretical and practical tasks, will accelerate your learning as well as provide you with the hands-on experience you'll need to apply your skills to the real-world. You'll also learn how to:
- Apply Object-Oriented concepts such as Encapsulation, Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Use java types
- Manipulate Arrays and Collections
- Handle Exceptions
- Take advantage of new Java SE 8 features, such as Lambda expressions and Date/Time API
On this course, you'll prepare for and take the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I (1Z0-808) exam, covered by your Certification Guarantee.
Achieving this certification is a prerequisite for attempting the Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 8 Programmer II. Save hundreds by combining both the OCA Java SE 8 Programmer and OCP Java SE 8 Programmer courses on the accelerated 7-day combined Oracle OCA and OCP Java SE 8 Programmer Certification course.
If you're a system administrator, project, web developer, program or technical manager looking to improve your programming skills, this course is ideal for you.
See prices now to find out how much you could save when you train at twice the speed.
Seven reasons why you should sit your course with Firebrand Training
- Two options of training. Choose between residential classroom-based, or online OCA Java SE 8 Programmer courses
- You'll be OCA Java SE 8 Programmer certified in just 3 days. With us, you’ll be OCA Java SE 8 Programmer trained in record time
- Our OCA Java SE 8 Programmer course is all-inclusive. A one-off fee covers all course materials, exams, accommodation and meals. No hidden extras
- Pass OCA Java SE 8 Programmer first time or train again for free. This is our guarantee. We’re confident you’ll pass your course first time. But if not, come back within a year and only pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs
- You’ll learn more. A day with a traditional training provider generally runs from 9am – 5pm, with a nice long break for lunch. With Firebrand Training you’ll get at least 12 hours/day quality learning time, with your instructor
- You’ll learn OCA Java SE 8 Programmer faster. Chances are, you’ll have a different learning style to those around you. We combine visual, auditory and tactile styles to deliver the material in a way that ensures you will learn faster and more easily
- You’ll be studying OCA Java SE 8 Programmer with the best. We’ve been named in Training Industry’s “Top 20 IT Training Companies of the Year” every year since 2010. As well as winning many more awards, we’ve trained and certified 75,352 professionals, and we’re partners with all of the big names in the business
Think you are ready for the course? Take a FREE practice test to assess your knowledge!
Benefits of Training with Firebrand
- Two options of training - Residential classroom-based, or online courses
- A purpose-built training centre – get access to dedicated Pearson VUE Select facilities
- Certification Guarantee – pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
- Everything you need to certify – you’ll sit your exam on the course and return home certified
- No hidden extras – one cost covers everything you need to certify
OCA Java SE 8 Programmer
- Define the scope of variables
- Define the structure of a Java class
- Create executable Java applications with a main method; run a Java program from the command line; including console output.
- Import other Java packages to make them accessible in your code
- Compare and contrast the features and components of Java such as: platform independence, object orientation, encapsulation, etc.
Java Data Types
- Declare and initialise variables (including casting of primitive data types)
- Differentiate between object reference variables and primitive variables
- Know how to read or write to object fields
- Explain an Object's Lifecycle (creation, "dereference by reassignment" and garbage collection)
- Develop code that uses wrapper classes such as Boolean, Double, and Integer.
Operators and Decision Constructs
- Use Java operators; including parentheses to override operator precedence
- Test equality between Strings and other objects using == and equals ()
- Create if and if/else and ternary constructs
- Use a switch statement
- Declare, instantiate, initialise and use a one-dimensional array
- Declare, instantiate, initialise and use multi-dimensional array
- Create and use while loops
- Create and use for loops including the enhanced for loop
- Create and use do/while loops
- Compare loop constructs
- Use break and continue
Methods and Encapsulation
- Create methods with arguments and return values; including overloaded methods
- Apply the static keyword to methods and fields
- Create and overload constructors; including impact on default constructors
- Apply access modifiers
- Apply encapsulation principles to a class
- Determine the effect upon object references and primitive values when they are passed into methods that change the values
- Describe inheritance and its benefits
- Develop code that demonstrates the use of polymorphism; including overriding and object type versus reference type
- Determine when casting is necessary
- Use super and this to access objects and constructors
- Use abstract classes and interfaces
- Differentiate among checked exceptions, unchecked exceptions, and Errors
- Create a try-catch block and determine how exceptions alter normal program flow
- Describe the advantages of Exception handling
- Create and invoke a method that throws an exception
- "Recognise common exception classes (such as NullPointerException, ArithmeticExcpetion, ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, ClassCastException)"
Java API Classes
- Manipulate data using the StringBuilder class and its methods
- Creating and manipulating Strings
- Create and manipulate calendar data using classes from java.time.LocalDateTime, java.time.LocalDate, java.time.LocalTime, java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter, java.time.Period
- Declare and use an ArrayListof a given type
- Write a simple Lambda expression that consumes a Lambda Predicate expression
See Exam Track...
You will sit the following exam at the training centre during the course, covered by your Certification Guarantee:
Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer I (1Z0-808)
- Duration: 150 minutes
- Number of Questions: 70
- Passing Score: 65%
- Format: Multiple Choice
See What's Included...
Your accelerated course includes:
- Meals, unlimited snacks, beverages, tea and coffee*
- On-site exams**
- Exam vouchers**
- Practice tests**
- Certification Guarantee***
- Up-to 12 hours of instructor-led training each day
- 24-hour lab access
- Digital courseware**
- * For residential training only. Doesn't apply for online courses
- ** Some exceptions apply. Please refer to the Exam Track or speak with our experts
- *** Pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
Before you attend this course, you should have at least six months’ programming experience in Java.
Unsure whether you meet the prerequisites? Don’t worry. Your training consultant will discuss your background with you to understand if this course is right for you.
Oracle OCA Java SE 8 Programmer Course Dates
Oracle - OCA Java SE 8 Programmer
Here's the Firebrand Training review section. Since 2001 we've trained exactly 75,352 students and asked them all to review our Accelerated Learning. Currently, 96.78% have said Firebrand exceeded their expectations.
Read reviews from recent accelerated courses below or visit Firebrand Stories for written and video interviews from our alumni.
Anonymous (18/11/2019 to 20/11/2019)
"Really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot of new skills. So thank you Firebrand."
M.A.. (18/11/2019 to 20/11/2019)
"Good food, good training, could improve by using less disposable cups and offer mugs instead."
Liam Coleman, IBM. (4/11/2019 to 6/11/2019)
"I found the course interesting and the content was delivered well."
R.B.. (4/11/2019 to 6/11/2019)
"Enjoyed my time at Firebrand. The training facilities are good. Plenty of free refreshments and close to your room for relation. Nice surroundings. Clean hotel."
Anonymous. (8/7/2019 to 10/7/2019)
Latest Reviews from our students