On this 4-day accelerated BCS Level 4 Diploma designed for Apprentices, you’ll learn key skills needed to master Data Analysis Concepts.
You’ll be immersed in the curriculum, through our unique Lecture | Lab | Review technique, which allows you learn and retain information faster than traditional courses.
On this course, you’ll explore different types of data; understanding the data life-cycle and learning the fundamentals of data structures. Our expert instructors will take you through the steps of carrying out routine data analysis task and database system design. You’ll also grasp:
- The importance of clearly defining customer requirements for data analysis
- Quality issues that arise with data and how to avoid and/or resolve these
- The organisation’s data architecture
- The range of data protection and legal issues
- The importance of the domain context for data analytics
During the course you’ll sit BCS Level 4 Certificate in Data Analysis Concepts Exam. Don’t pass the first time? Don’t worry – you’ll be covered by our Certification Guarantee.
See prices now to find out how much you could save when you train at twice the speed.
Seven reasons why you should sit your course with Firebrand Training
- You'll be BCS Data Analysis Concepts certified in just 4 days. With us, you’ll be BCS Data Analysis Concepts trained in record time
- Our BCS Data Analysis Concepts course is all-inclusive. A one-off fee covers all course materials, exams, accommodation and meals. No hidden extras
- Pass BCS Data Analysis Concepts first time or train again for free. This is our guarantee. We’re confident you’ll pass your course first time. But if not, come back within a year and only pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs
- You’ll learn more. A day with a traditional training provider generally runs from 9am – 5pm, with a nice long break for lunch. With Firebrand Training you’ll get at least 12 hours/day quality learning time, with your instructor
- You’ll learn BCS Data Analysis Concepts faster. Chances are, you’ll have a different learning style to those around you. We combine visual, auditory and tactile styles to deliver the material in a way that ensures you will learn faster and more easily
- You’ll be studying BCS Data Analysis Concepts with the best. We’ve been named in Training Industry’s “Top 20 IT Training Companies of the Year” every year since 2010. As well as winning many more awards, we’ve trained and certified 74974 professionals, and we’re partners with all of the big names in the business
- You'll do more than study Firebrand's courseware. We use practical exercises to make sure you can apply your new knowledge to the work environment. Our instructors use demonstrations and real-world experience to keep the day interesting and engaging
Think you are ready for the course? Take a FREE practice test to assess your knowledge!
Benefits of Training with Firebrand
- Distraction-free residential training - you’ll live just steps away from your classroom
- A purpose-built training centre – get access to dedicated Pearson VUE Select facilities
- Your Certification Guarantee – pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
- Everything you need to certify – you’ll even sit your exam on the course and return home certified
- No hidden extras – one cost covers everything you need to certify
1. Types of Data
In this topic, you'll explore the different types of data, including open and public data, administrative data, and research data. You'll learn to:
- Describe the difference between data, information and knowledge.
- Explain the range of different types of data.
- Apply classification schemes for data.
2. The Data Lifecycle
In this topic area, you'll explore the data lifecycle and learn to:
- Illustrate and describe that the data lifecycle management is a comprehensive approach to managing the flow of an information system's data and its associated metadata.
- Explain each of the stages of a data lifecycle
3. Structured and Unstructured Data
In this topic area, you'll illustrate the differences between structured and unstructured data. You'll learn to:
- Describe that structured data is information which can be ordered and processed by data analysis tools.
- Recognise common sources of structured data
- Explain that unstructured data can take various formats
- Illustrate that, in order to maximise insight and derive useful business intelligence, organisations need to analyse both structured and unstructured data.
- Recognise how structured and unstructured data complement each other.
4. Requirements for Data Analysis
In this topic area, you'll show the importance of clearly defining customer requirements for data. You'll learn to:
- Recognise and demonstrate that data itself does not provide the answers to business problems.
- Recognise and apply the key to effective data analysis is by asking the right questions which are defined as stakeholder requirements.
5. Quality Issues for Data Analysis
In this topic area, you'll develop an understanding of the quality issues that can arise with data and how to avoid and/or resolve issues experienced. You'll learn to:
- Recognise how data quality relates different attributes.
- Illustrate the importance of good quality data.
- Demonstrate that minor data errors can cause major issues for data analysis.
- Identify the common sources of errors.
- Demonstrate that improving data quality and defining an organisational strategy for improved source data creation and storage will directly benefit the value of data analytics to improve business decision making.
6. Data Analysis Tasks
In this topic area, you'll explore the steps involved in carrying out routine data analysis tasks. You'll learn to:
- Discover that data analysis is typically cyclic and iterative and illustrate the typical activities.
7. Compliance and Audit Considerations
In this topic area, you'll explore and gain knowledge on the range of data protection and legal issues. You'll learn to:
- Describe the data protection and privacy issues that can occur during data analysis activities.
- Explain the need to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 UK.
- Recall and define the 8 principles of the Data Protection Act.
- Recognise the need for an organisational data policy in relation to data governance.
8. Data Structures
In this topic area, you'll explore the fundamentals of data structures and database system design, implementation and maintenance. You'll learn to:
- Identify that data structure refers to formalised ways of identifying, accessing and manipulating data attributes by forming logical groupings.
- Explain the concepts behind relational database structures.
- Discuss how data warehousing and Big Data (aka. NoSQL) structures address performance issues.
- Demonstrate why the variety of data structures requires a range of different data access and techniques.
9. Database Design, Implementation and Maintenance
In this topic area, you will explore database system design, implementation and maintenance. You'll learn to:
- Apply data modelling techniques within database design, producing data models from different perspectives.
- Recognise the most common forms of database
- Demonstrate how a logical data model can be transformed into a physical database design, including de-normalisation.
- Recognise that database maintenance is an activity designed to keep a database running smoothly and that a database can become sluggish and lose functionality otherwise.
- Illustrate the importance of maintaining a database by backing up the data securely.
10. Data Architecture
In this topic area, you will work to understand the organisation's data architecture. You'll learn to:
Explain how an organisation's data architecture defines how data is stored, managed, used and integrated within an organisation and its database systems.
- Explain that metadata is data that defines the data an enterprise needs, stores and uses.
- Identify the need for a single enterprise view of data and how the canonical data model achieves this.
- Define the nature of the Data Architecture functions.
11. The Domain Context for Data Analytics
In this topic area, you'll explore the importance of the domain context for data analytics. You'll learn to:
- Illustrate the importance of domain knowledge to effective data analysis.
- Demonstrate the role of Decision, Descriptive, Predictive and Prescriptive analytics
See Exam Track...
The format for the exam is a one-hour, closed book multiple-choice exam consisting of 40 questions. The pass mark is 26/40 (65%).
If you're taking the exam in a language that is not your native/official language, you are entitled to 25% extra time and are allowed to use your own paper language dictionary to translate during the exam.
See What's Included...
Exam and Firebrand developed course materials
Your accelerated course includes:
- Meals, unlimited snacks, beverages, tea and coffee
- Onsite exams
- Examination vouchers*
- Practice tests**
- Certification Guarantee***
- Up-to 12 hours of instructor-led training each day
- 24-hour lab access
- Hands-on training through Lecture | Lab | ReviewTM
- Digital courseware (if available)
- * Exam vouchers may not be included for Apprentices and will require a separate purchase by an employer due to ESFA guidelines
- ** Not on all courses
- *** Pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
There are currently no prerequisites for this course.
Unsure whether you meet the prerequisites? Don’t worry. Your training consultant will discuss your background with you to understand if this course is right for you.
BCS BCS Data Analysis Concepts Course Dates
BCS - Level 4 Certificate in Data Analysis Concepts
Here's the Firebrand Training review section. Since 2001 we've trained exactly 74974 students and asked them all to review our Accelerated Learning. Currently, 96.78% have said Firebrand exceeded their expectations.
Read reviews from recent accelerated courses below or visit Firebrand Stories for written and video interviews from our alumni.
"Great facilities, food was very nice. The content provided was informative and will be majorly beneficial."
J.C,. (25/11/2019 to 28/11/2019)
"Facilities are great for learning and relaxing in-between.The tutor was supportive and available late into the evening. Any queries were answered with extra support and time given as needed. Course content was extensive and covered all aspects."
Deborah Holyoak. (22/7/2019 to 25/7/2019)
"Firebrand Training courses are a fantastic way to gain the level of knowledge you require to progress professionally. All the staff are very knowledgeable and happy to help. They tailor your learning needs to you as an individual meaning you will really get the most out of your learning. "
Jay Cooper, Bourne Leisure. (22/7/2019 to 25/7/2019)
"Great course, I gained a lot of understanding about data analysis in its own right, and how to relate it to your own company. "
joanne bowman, mitchells and butler. (22/7/2019 to 25/7/2019)
"Excellent facilities at Wyboston. Staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout the course. "
M.L.. (22/7/2019 to 25/7/2019)
Latest Reviews from our students