This accelerated Software Development Fundamentals course will provide you with a basic understanding of the software development lifecycle. As well as the decsisions that have to be made when selecting a software development methodology. You'll also develop an appreciation of how software developers need to work effectively in teams to produce software.
Your role as a software developer is to build and test high-quality code across front end, logic and database layers. Typically you will work as part of a larger team, responsible for some of the straightforward tasks and deliverables of the overall project. You will interpret design documentation and specifications. Customer requirements will typically be defined and agreed by more experienced or specialist members of the team, such as a business analyst or technical architect.
Upon completion of this course, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to fulfil the role of a Software Developer. These include carrying out the following:
- Review requirements and specifications, and define test conditions. Design test cases and test scripts under your own direction, mapping back to pre-determined criteria, recording and reporting outcomes. Analyse and report test activities and results. Identify and report issues and risks associated with your work.
- Design, code, test, correct, and document moderately complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools. Conduct reviews of supplied specifications, with others when necessary.
- Apply ergonomics tools and methods to develop users' tasks, interactions and interfaces to meet users' requirements.
- Apply data analysis and data modelling techniques to establish, modify or maintain a data structure and its associated components.
- Develop specialist knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles. Translate object and data models into appropriate database schemas within design constraints. Interpret installation standards to meet project needs and produce database components as required. Evaluate potential solutions, demonstrating, installing and commissioning selected products.
- Produce software builds from software source code. Conduct tests as defined in an integration test specification, record the details of any failures, and carry out fault diagnosis relating to simple failures, reporting the results of the diagnosis in a clear and concise manner.
This is a vendor-neutral IT developer course, aimed at anyone who is involved in any aspect of systems development. Ideal for someone looking to develop foundation knowledge in Software Development.
See prices now to find out how much you could save when you train at twice the speed.
Seven reasons why you should sit your course with Firebrand Training
- You'll be Software Development Fundamentals certified in just 3 days. With us, you’ll be Software Development Fundamentals trained in record time
- Our Software Development Fundamentals course is all-inclusive. A one-off fee covers all course materials, exams, accommodation and meals. No hidden extras
- Pass Software Development Fundamentals first time or train again for free. This is our guarantee. We’re confident you’ll pass your course first time. But if not, come back within a year and only pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs
- You’ll learn more. A day with a traditional training provider generally runs from 9am – 5pm, with a nice long break for lunch. With Firebrand Training you’ll get at least 12 hours/day quality learning time, with your instructor
- You’ll learn Software Development Fundamentals faster. Chances are, you’ll have a different learning style to those around you. We combine visual, auditory and tactile styles to deliver the material in a way that ensures you will learn faster and more easily
- You’ll be studying Software Development Fundamentals with the best. We’ve been named in Training Industry’s “Top 20 IT Training Companies of the Year” every year since 2010. As well as winning many more awards, we’ve trained and certified 75044 professionals, and we’re partners with all of the big names in the business
- You'll do more than study Firebrand's courseware. We use practical exercises to make sure you can apply your new knowledge to the work environment. Our instructors use demonstrations and real-world experience to keep the day interesting and engaging
Think you are ready for the course? Take a FREE practice test to assess your knowledge!
Benefits of Training with Firebrand
- Distraction-free residential training - you’ll live just steps away from your classroom
- A purpose-built training centre – get access to dedicated Pearson VUE Select facilities
- Your Certification Guarantee – pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
- Everything you need to certify – you’ll even sit your exam on the course and return home certified
- No hidden extras – one cost covers everything you need to certify
Module 1 - Understand the Software Development Lifecycle
- Understand the role of software development and its relationship to other, associated disciplines
- The important of following procedural/staged lifecycle
Module 2 - Understand Software Development Methodologies
- Understand software development methodologies, applications as well as advantages/disadvantages
- Be able to compare and contrast software development methodologies
Module 3 - Business Environment
- Be able to describe the business environment related to software development
- Know how to respond to business environment and issues
Module 4 - Effective Teams
- Describe the roles and responsibilities with the software development and implementation lifecycle
- Appreciate the importance of working as a member of an effective development team
Module 5 - Case Study
- Apply learning to a practical example
See What's Included...
You will be provided with comprehensive courseware and the following book:
Developing Information Systems: Practical Guidance for IT professionals, by James Cadle.
Your accelerated course includes:
- Meals, unlimited snacks, beverages, tea and coffee
- Onsite exams
- Examination vouchers*
- Practice tests**
- Certification Guarantee***
- Up-to 12 hours of instructor-led training each day
- 24-hour lab access
- Hands-on training through Lecture | Lab | ReviewTM
- Digital courseware (if available)
- * Exam vouchers may not be included for Apprentices and will require a separate purchase by an employer due to ESFA guidelines
- ** Not on all courses
- *** Pass first time or train again free (just pay for accommodation, exams and incidental costs)
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is suitable for beginners.
Unsure whether you meet the prerequisites? Don’t worry. Your training consultant will discuss your background with you to understand if this course is right for you.
App and Web Development Software Development Fundamentals Course Dates
App and Web Development - Software Development Fundamentals
Here's the Firebrand Training review section. Since 2001 we've trained exactly 75044 students and asked them all to review our Accelerated Learning. Currently, 96.79% have said Firebrand exceeded their expectations.
Read reviews from recent accelerated courses below or visit Firebrand Stories for written and video interviews from our alumni.
"The training was very engaging and made interesting. I was able to follow along with the course content well and had help re-capping parts I was less clear on. The facilities were also very appealing ."
J.S., BT. (6/1/2020 to 8/1/2020)
"I found the training very useful and all parts of it were taught in interesting ways. "
Oliver Randall, BT. (6/1/2020 to 8/1/2020)
"Good facilities provided to ensure the non class room side of the visit were as smooth as possible not to impact the course work.The days were really well planned with a constant mix of different learning techniques to gain as much knowledge as possible prior to exam.The instructor had a really good pace of keeping the course moving but going over any points that people needed further time on."
Owen Shaw, Lloyds Banking Group. (6/1/2020 to 8/1/2020)
"The experience was good and I learned a lot. The flexibility and freedom in learning methods was also really useful."
Craig Gillett, Virgin Media. (6/1/2020 to 8/1/2020)
"Constant access to classrooms has been very helpful. Staff always on hand to answer questions. Has been a positive experience."
J.H., Virgin Media. (6/1/2020 to 8/1/2020)
Latest Reviews from our students